As always, we welcome your comments and ideas and of course, if your residential airpark isn’t listed or if you have information about other fly-in communities in the state for which we’re reporting, or any other state, please email me.
Arizona: We list 25 open airparks in Arizona and one under construction. The oldest listed airpark in Arizona was opened in 1958 – Moreton Airpark located at Wickenburg, AZ. However, six more claim to have started operations in the 1970s. Since the turn of the century, six more fly-in communities have opened for business.
Looking at the 25 established communities plus the one under construction that we list in the Living With Your Plane directory, 18 report their individual properties are more than an acre each while only right of the airparks show residential properties of an acre or less.
Also, Arizona has the distinction of listing more large lot projects than most of the other states in the country. Sixteen of the fly-in communities claim to have 50 or more lots and most of those are in the 100 to 175 lot range. One airpark lists 550 residential sites and another one has 300.
Only two airparks report having 10 or fewer residential sites; a couple more indicate they have between 21 and 35 lots and three list their homesites as bewteen 36 and 50.
As you might expect, the vast majority of Arizona airparks boast runways of between 2,500 and 4,000 feet. Actually 17 of the fly-in communities report this length while another eight have more than 4,000 feet of runway.
Only six of the airparks show their runway as unpaved. All the rest are paved.
Here’s the fly-in community list:
- Castle Wells – Morristown
- Eagle Roost Airpark – Aguila
- Flying J Ranch – Pima
- Hangar Haciendas – Laveen
- Indian Hills Airpark – Salome
- LaCholla Airpark – Oro Valley
- Mogollon Airpark – Overgaard
- Montezuma Heights Airpark – Camp Verde
- Skyranch at Carefree – Carefree
- Stellar Air Park – Chandler
- Sun Valley Airport – Bullhead City
- Twin Hooks – Marana
- White Mt. Lake Airport – White Mt. Lake
- Pegasus Airpark – Empire
- Mazatzal Mountain Air Park – Payson
- Flying Diamond Airpark – Sahuarita
- Sun Valley Airpark – Fort Mohave
- Phoenix Regional Airport – Maricopa
- Moreton Airpark – Wickenburg
- High Mesa Air Park – Safford
- Wagon Bow Airpark – Kingman
- Whetstone Airpark – Whetstone
- Morning Star Airpark – Pearce
- White Mountain Lakes Airpark – Show Low
- Ruby Star Airpark – Sahuarita
- Sampley’s Airport – Aguila